As we put this parasite into our seed mixes, we remember regularly getting alarmed alerts from summer visitors to Somme Prairie Grove: "There's some kind of parasite taking over! Can anything be done?!?"
Be calm, friends. We plant it.
It's a great partner in restoration of ecosystem health and biodiversity.
At first we see just a few pale vines, searching around:
Then they start to encircle and cling:
And soon, it's clearly having an impact:
One of the common names for this species is "love vine." But it does not just embrace. It kills, or at least severely depletes.Those coils are not strangling. They're sucking out nutrients.
It may cover large areas of prairie or savanna:
It thrives where there's heavy domination by one or a few aggressive species - tall goldenrod, woodland sunflower, saw-tooth sunflower, or mountain mint. It seems to be able to reduce their dominance enough that diverse species can then be seeded in. It's an amazing plant. When a seed falls to the ground, it waits until the following spring, and at just the right moment, it germinates. But it does not put down a root, and it never makes a leaf. Instead, it uses the energy packed inside that seed to reach out for the stem of a victim.
Is "victim" the right word here? One night on Jimmy Kimmel's late-night show, Jimmie began with the words, "Hi! I'm Jimmy Kimmel. I'm the host, and you're the parasites." Botanical humor strikes again.
But indeed, perhaps "host" is the better and more objective word.
Though, as you see the assault continue, it can be hard to be coolly objective.
We see two species of dodder at Somme. Most of the photos here are of Cuscuta gronovii, common dodder. We also see rope dodder, Cuscuta glomerata, shown below:
Below, the main victim of common dodder is saw-tooth sunflower:
Or below: on woodland sunflower and tall goldenrod:
When they emerge, its flowers will look like this:
Dodder often leaves other species unaffected, but the aggressive species had been so dominant, that there's now mostly bare ground.
We broadcast the seed of diverse species into these bare spots, and our impression is that they do pretty well. The monoculture of aggression is history. We should do more careful studies. Perhaps others could do so as well.
Acknowledgements:
Thanks to GoBotany for the close-up photo of dodder flowers.









I used dodder in a patch of goldenrod in a prairie planting.
ReplyDeleteWorked really well. Only issue was once the goldenrod was knocked back a patch of Canada Thistle took over. Oh well.
How long did it take for the dodder to do in the goldenrod?
DeleteThere's little point in using dodder unless you have quality plants to take over - already there in small numbers ... or from seed.
DeleteKirk, very good question. Sorry to say I don't have a very good answer. The results seem different in type and timing from place to place. If I'm going to write about it, I really should do more careful observations. But all I have at this point is impressions. If I'm able to learning more detail from study, I'll try to add it to the post or through a comment.
DeleteKirk,
Deleteit took a year to knock the Goldenrod back.
Where the goldenrod grew little else grew under it.
So when it got knocked back the few thistle that were in the area took over the following year.
The Dodder is still in the area but it seems to creep on to find better pastures after the Goldenrod weakened. its now in a better area that is a good mix of typical prairie plants, be interesting to see what it does there.
Which kind of dodder is this?
ReplyDeleteWe watch two species at Somme: common dodder (Cuscuta gronovii) and rope dodder (Cuscuta glomerata). In our limited study, they seem to have similar impacts, although gronovii seems to cover larger areas and possibly do more damage to the aggressive plants. The photos in the post are all of gronovii.
DeleteJust yesterday I was out growing season cutting quaking aspen suckers (I know, smoky, should have stayed in). I found Cuscuta gronovii starting to work on them (the aspen) in one area, and I left left it to its work! I think Cuscuta gronovii is a bit more of a generalist. Cuscuta glomerata usually affects goldenrods and sunflowers.
DeleteDan, I agree. I too have seen gronovii working on aspen shoots. I've also seen it attacking dewberry where that one had taken over. It seems to go after troublesome, aggressive plants, not so much after more conservative plants. I wonder if anyone's studied that.
DeleteA year is a relatively short time to see positive results. To counter the development of encroaching weeds (thistles in this case) would seeding with natives simultaneously with dodder seeds be useful?
ReplyDeleteYes, we see little quick results from seeding. But in the longer run the impact has "a grandeur" to it.
DeleteTo paraphrase Darwin: "There is grandeur is wise seeding into nature, so slow that it's hard to perceive. Embryos of a hundred kinds broadcast on a few square yards of ground often yield nothing easily visible in the first few years. But with a hopeful future breathed by them into the ecosystem, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, result gradually in endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful. Conservatives emerge and take over."
I suppose I should apologize for so "grand" a response. But I feel that way about it.
We have not seen thistles coming into dodder areas.
We have little detailed guidance to offer.
We include dodder in our seed mixes. We tend to seed dodder areas additionally in the fall after the dodder has done its work, but we haven't compared those approaches with others.
picked fresh seed in the fall and scattered where desired.
Deleteone growing season.
the next summer the results are seen.
Dramatic change in my case.
I have used seeded dodder in prairies and woods settings.
I especially like using it in areas with heavy growth of woodland sunflowers and or goldenrod.
Just my .02.