email alerts

To receive email alerts for new posts of this blog, enter your address below.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

The status of this blog.

I hadn’t written a post in quite a while – because of the demands of the burn season, the spring planting season, and mostly the opportunity to help build the much-needed Friends of Illinois Nature Preserves.
 
Sorry these posts are not better in the hundred ways they deserve to be. But I do what I can. 
 
I just posted some history of “Mr. Prairie” – Professor Robert F. Betz.
 
I wish I could have taken the time to research many of the details better. I “quote” fragments of conversation from vague memories of decades ago – surely without the complete accuracy that quoted lines deserve – and only to make the writing easier and, I hope, more compelling. My qualified apologies for that. 
 
I’m publishing it now only because I ran across it, while working to help restore lost quality to Betz's beloved and first love, Santa Fe Prairie. As I worked on Santa Fe (to be published soon) the unfinished collection of Betz stories popped up from somewhere in my computer, when I was trying to find something else. I resolved to take time from other work and finish this account of what I had learned (and others might learn?) from Betz – before the 2021 prairie vegetation emerged. I’m barely in time. 
 
My friend Christos pleads with me to record more of these tidbits of history. I recently “celebrated” my 78th birthday, which is a reminder that “time’s a wasting” and I don’t have forever to do it. For some reason, I did a quick count of the posts that I’ve started because I thought they might be valuable – and haven’t finished. I got as far as 65 for the Stewards blog before I quit. I guess I don’t have time or mental energy for that count. And then there are also the drafts that I’m slow on finishing for the Vestal Grove blog. 
 
Christos recommends that I do some kind of Table of Contents or Index for the previous 120 posts on the Strategies for Stewards (“more technical, but not all that technical”) blog and the 102 on the Vestal Grove (“more fun, but not all that fun”) blog. Yeah, good idea. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    Your posts are always well worth waiting for~don't beat yourself up for what you can't get to. I loved this post. Thank you for writing it! Have you thought about consolidating your work into a book? That would really be something.
    Speaking of books, Kathy Garness thinks you might still have a few copies of Bob Betz's book that you mentioned. I'd love a copy, if you have one to spare. I could send you a check.
    Thanks!
    Melissa Pierson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to your posts. Some with practical ideas for my stewardship activities, some historical, all inspirational. If you can find a way of making them useable for posterity that would be a lasting legacy for restorationists now and in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a flood of memories this brings. I had Bob Betz as a professor. Fall of 1975 – Biogeography- Prairies and prairie fires and so much more. ’76- Biochemistry- a solid industry, extracted from the realm of life. ’77 Graduate Prairie Management- Tap dancing with agencies. If I could post a picture here, long story, I would say “look for Dr. Betz to the left of E.O. Wilson, 11 O’Clock to Rachel Carson, and 3 O’clock to the large printed slogan ‘Be creative and pass on your inspiration.’” He was always amazed that I tracked down a prairie chicken internship, and some major work in biochemistry. A true mentor!

    ReplyDelete